The Bayonne facility was opened by the Navy in 1942 as a logistics and repair base. In 1967, the peninsula became a US Army base. It was an enormous shipping terminal and had the largest drydock on the eastern seaboard.
From this terminal, ships carried supplies for every major US military operation from World War II to the Persian Gulf and Haitian missions. At its peak, the base employed about 3,000 personnel and consistently handled more than one million tons of cargo per year.
With the end of the Cold War, the federal government began closing down US military bases, including Bayonne. In 2001 we salvaged Douglas fir timbers from the terminal after its demolition.